Basic Function: This engineering position will lead the organization in managing equipment, purchasing new equipment, improving plant efficiency and equipment utilization. The engineer will define and manage equipment capabilities and identify new equipment needs for new products and overall process improvements. Independent decision making, project management and leadership in a process development and manufacturing environment will be essential in the success of the engineer in this role. All levels of engineering work from research and development to industrialization of processes in the plant are expected. Manufacturing Engineering skills and understanding of plastics processing equipment will be necessary.
I. Performs specific job responsibilities:
• Specify, purchase and commission new equipment
• Define, Document and maintain equipment capabilities to ensure the appropriate equipment is used to produce the designated products.
• Assures product and process quality by defining equipment process capabilities, establishing process standards and coordinating the analysis of product nonconformances and prioritization of corrective action plans.
• Supports production by defining, documenting and training individual on methods used to reliably produce high quality products
• Provides manufacturing decision-making information by calculating production, labor, and material costs and establishing future equipment requirements. (Coordinates cost reduction, equipment efficiency and process improvement programs).
• Prepares reports intended to communicate to all levels of the plant that document output studies, productivity trends, time studies and equipment usage.
• Strong team player willing to share knowledge and is eager to learn new skills as needed in the plant
II. Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
III. Champions OCC’s mission, vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
• Organizational Responsibility – working with manufacturing, engineering and quality
• Communication – Extensive communication with most departments on a daily basis
• Confidentiality – Handling sensitive corporate and department information requiring high levels of confidentiality
• Financial Responsibility – Tracking regulatory projects in order to document cost to company
• Judgment -Inaccuracies could impact regulatory and standards compliance, quality and customer satisfaction; financial impact due to errors.
• Compliance -Regulatory compliance for UL and other standards requirements; SOX, ISO and other internal compliance requirements
• Travel – limited but may be necessary as project needs arise
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education: BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering in a related discipline from an accredited institution
Experience: 3 – 5 years’ experience preferred as a manufacturing engineer
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration:
Other Minimum Qualifications: A strong technical ability to understand and implement engineering concepts and to perform independently
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
• Technical skills are required in order to understand and manage equipment design and utilization concepts.
• Knowledge of plastic extrusion and extrusion related processes is desirable
• Able to effectively work with shop floor personnel as part of problem solving and new equipment implementation
• The position will require an individual with good problem solving skills, communication skills and the ability to deal with people in an effective and professional manner. Will handle regular communications with all levels of production and engineering staff.
• Excellent computer skills – 30% of the work will be on a computer with a variety of software – Word, Excel, Access and ERP systems.
• Extensive knowledge and use of MS excel to clearly communicate data to all levels of audiences is required.
• The individual will need to be able to manage multiple tasks on a tight schedule.
Working Conditions: Job duties requires engineering work, overnight travel and ambulation in office, testing laboratory, manufacturing plant, customer facility, and on-site installation working environments. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn