Basic Function: This engineering position is versatile and will be working in both the product and manufacturing development aspects of a fiber optical cable plant. This individual will define product requirements, define equipment requirements and ensure the right equipment, processes and techniques are used to produce good quality products. An engineer in this position will perform tasks and conduct analysis on complex problems that require communication within the organization and with outside resources such as test labs and material suppliers. All levels of engineering work from research and development to industrialization of the product in the plant are expected. Mechanical engineering skills, plastic process equipment understanding and plastics processing knowledge will be necessary.
I. Performs specific job responsibilities:
• Manages significant product development projects to meet product performance requirements to the defined timeline.
• Plans, executes and reports product testing through internal or external test facilities
• Ensures the appropriate equipment is used to produce the designated products.
• Coordinates the validation of new product designs during the production of the first article and updates the designs as needed.
• Assures product and process quality by defining equipment process capabilities, establishing process standards and coordinates the analysis of product nonconformances.
• Develops and maintains engineering documentation and systems to ensure standard product configurations are complete, accurate and up to date and include materials, construction and regulatory requirements.
• Manages the custom product design review, approval and change process including customer approval of designs.
• Manages the regulatory agency design requirements such as UL, ABS and MSHA
• Enters data into the ERP system related to Finished Goods part numbers including the proper approval status and availability of the products
• Supports the cost calculation process and integrates information to support ERP systems.
II. Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
III. Champions OCC’s mission, vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
• Organizational Responsibility – working with manufacturing, sales and quality
• Communication – Extensive communication with most departments on a daily basis
• Confidentiality – Handling sensitive corporate and department information requiring high levels of confidentiality
• Financial Responsibility – Tracking regulatory projects in order to document cost to company
• Judgment -Inaccuracies could impact regulatory and standards compliance, quality and customer satisfaction; financial impact due to errors.
• Compliance -Regulatory compliance for UL and other standards requirements; SOX, ISO and other internal compliance requirements
• Travel – limited but may be necessary for external cable testing
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education: BS degree in Engineering or a scientific field from an accredited institution. Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering are ideal
Experience: 3+ years’ experience preferred in a manufacturing environment
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration:
Other Minimum Qualifications: A strong technical ability to understand and implement engineering concepts and to perform independently
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
• Technical skills are required in order to understand and manage complex product design and material performance concepts to act independently on projects assigned.
• The position will require an individual with good problem solving skills, communication skills and the ability to deal with people in an effective and professional manner. Will handle regular communications with all levels of sales, production and engineering staff.
• Excellent computer skills – 50% of the work will be on a computer with a variety of software – Word, Excel, Access and Syspro ERP
• The individual will need to be able to manage multiple tasks on a tight schedule. Much of the work will be time critical to support both order entry and order release.
• Strong team player willing to share knowledge and eager to learn new skills as needed
Working Conditions: Job duties requires engineering work, overnight travel and ambulation in office, testing laboratory, manufacturing plant, customer facility, and on-site installation working environments. Occasional lifting/pushing up to 50 lbs. Sight and color vision required sufficient for detailed analysis, reading and computer work. Hearing required sufficient for communication with coworkers, vendors and customers and awareness of alarms. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn