Basic Function: As a business unit leader is responsible for shift operation of one or more cabling/extruder operating units. Provides leadership, business focus, education and training, culture-building and resource management to safely and profitably manufacture world-class fiber optic cables. Effectively leads assigned teams production efforts with a focus on quality; schedules employees and work for maximum efficiency; appropriately plans to handle the production schedule. May work rotating day/night shift. Core responsibilities include operations management, leadership, resource and support, process management and environmental/safety.
I. Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Assuring all production plans, goals, and metrics are met for the business unit.
- Tracking, communication, and reporting on the essential metrics which drive the operations performance.
- Coordinate and allocate manpower to optimize production
- Leads, builds, and facilitates teams. This function entails assessment of team development, compliance with training guidelines, delegation of certain task within the team, attendance at meetings, and resolution of team conflicts and deficiencies.
- Assesses, analyzes, and procures assistance from production support functions through the Operational Excellence pillar management system. The Business Unit Leader will be the focal point for coordinating initiatives and assistance for the work teams for Quality & Process Control, Information Systems, Engineering, Maintenance, Industrial Efficiency, People Development, Production Control, Safety, Environmental, and Customer & Material handling issues.
- Ensure teams are adhering to plant policies including timecards, attendance, vacation, and team coverage.
- Communicating expectations and holding people accountable.
- Utilize key operating indicators for control of product cost, material usage, machine downtime, expenditure control and other shift functions.
II. Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
III. Champions OCC’s mission, vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
- Managerial: Supervises a team of production employees in several different roles
- Communication: Communicates with fellow supervisors and leaders in other departments to understand production needs and expectations.
- Confidentiality: High level of confidentiality required regarding corporate initiatives, customer matters and employee issues.
- Financial: Operate and manage a fiscally responsible team and maintain reasonable expenses; must evaluate the potential returns on investment before committing to purchases. Respond to the Finance team’s request for information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Judgment: Errors can impact the efficiency of on-time orders, general quality, employee moral.
- Compliance: Responsible for SOX compliance as it pertains to the teams work processes; responsible for understanding, following and administering corporate policies. Compliant with operational procedures including OSHA/Safety.
- Travel: Minimal to none
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Education: Associate degree in business, electronics, engineering or related field, or equivalent knowledge and experience. Bachelor degree in related field preferred.
- Experience: 5 years’ operating extrusion, cabling or other manufacturing equipment or 5 years industrial/military supervisory/leadership experience. WCM/Lean/Six Sigma, ERP, ISO, Safety and/or engineering experience desirable.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Effective interpersonal and communication skills with a demonstrated ability to be a team member, to lead/train/motivate a team, and to communicate expectations/hold individuals accountable. Demonstrated ability to lead change and implement continuous improvement and to resolve complex operational/personnel situations. Demonstrated history of making positive contributions to an organization as a leader. Mechanical aptitude with the ability to review specifications, set-up, run and monitor a machine in a production environment.
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge: Operate independently with little direct supervision; involve management staff appropriately. Participate in management and leadership level meetings. Utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint with minimal support. Maintain interpersonal relationships through appropriate and concise communication, oral and written. Use math and critical thinking skills to correctly complete all documentation required for team reporting and compliance obligations. Understand, follow and administer policies, especially those related to quality and compliance. Attend to detail in completing assignments and documentation. Prioritize workload effectively.
Working Conditions: This job requires color vision, sight sufficient for completing computer work, one who can regularly stand for long durations, and can regularly lift or move up to 50 pounds. Requires an individual with sufficient hearing for extensive, direct and/or telephone contact with customers, management and employees. Requires an individual with the ability to enter data into a computer. Responsibilities require an individual to be physically mobile to move around the building; requires an individual capable of operating a forklift and other manufacturing equipment. The nature of this position and the personal interactions involved require that an individual possess significant and persuasive interactive communications skills. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn