The role of a Programmer at OCC combines strong analytical, programming and troubleshooting skills to understand business needs, work in conjunction with other Developers and Architects to create reliable, scalable and flexible solutions. This key individual plays an important role in increasing IT’s value to the organization, strengthening collaboration between business areas and developing solutions that support business needs and growth.
I. Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Participates in the planning, design, development and unit testing of new applications or enhancements to existing applications.
- Leads meetings with Decision Makers, Business Leads and End Users to define business requirements and formulate ways to solve business needs.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of the application framework at OCC, and ensures all solutions are compatible and interoperate with the existing architecture.
- Analyzes the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems and develops clear plans to improve reliability, scalability and flexibility.
- Leads/ participates in the deployment of new applications and enhancements to existing applications.
- Creates systems models, specifications, diagrams and flowcharts charts to communicate concepts and establish blueprints for projects.
- Coordinates and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Participates in an on-call production support rotation.
II. Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
III. Champions OCC’s mission, vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
- Organization responsibility—has no supervision or leadership responsibilities
- Communication—frequent daily contact with all levels of employees, contractors and vendors
- Confidentiality—follows company policy/procedures for all levels and types of communication
- Financial Responsibility – has no financial responsibility
- Judgment – responsibility for all custom mission critical systems for the company.
- Compliance—follows company policy/procedures for Human Resources, Sarbanes-Oxley, ISO, etc.
- Travel—occasional overnight travel to out-of-state facilities
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education: Associate degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience creating and supporting VB.Net solutions.
- Strong SQL programming skills using advanced techniques.
- Strong understanding of programming techniques to optimize performance in a SQL Server database environment.
- Thorough, working knowledge of the software development lifecycle with proven experience in the design, development, and implementation phases of software and hardware solutions, systems, or products.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Highly self-motivated and directed; strong customer service orientation; effective interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills with strong attention to details.
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Proficient at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment
Working Conditions: This is a partially sedentary job which requires sight sufficient for computer usage and hearing sufficient for extensive, direct and/or telephone contact with customers, management and employees. Responsibilities require an individual to be physically mobile to move around the facility. The nature of this position and the personal interactions involved require that an individual possess significant and persuasive interactive communications skills. 40+ hour on-site work week with n-call availability required. Sitting for extended periods of time, dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components, occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings, lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects such as computers and peripherals. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…