Basic Function: The Accounting Manager Directs and coordinates activities of employees engaged in calculating, posting, and verifying financial information for the purpose of maintaining accurate accounting and statistical records.
Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Builds trust, values others, communicates effectively, drives execution, fosters innovation, focuses on the customer, collaborates with others, solves problems creatively and demonstrates high integrity.
- Directs and leads the efforts of team members in order to meet team, departmental and corporate goals:
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends candidates for hire
- Trains, monitors, motivates and evaluates the qualitative and quantitative performance of team members
- Administers policies fairly and consistently.
- Sets strategic goals and defines plans for meeting those goals set for the team and individual members.
- Interacts with other corporate management to capture major opportunities for strategic planning and continual improvement.
- Prepares and reviews monthly journal entries and financial statements.
- Prepares and reviews quarterly work papers and various account analysis schedules.
- Supports management team by analyzing transactions and providing accounting guidance.
- Maintains assigned SOX narratives and works with other SOX team members to design and maintain compliance with effective internal controls.
Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
Champions OCC’s vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
- Managerial: Supervises the Accounts Payable Administrator and Staff Accountant. Manages the Corporate Accounts Payable function.
- Communication: Communicate daily with supervisor and team members to resolve accounts payable, general accounting, and financial reporting issues.
- Confidentiality: High level of confidentiality required regarding corporate initiatives, customer matters, proprietary finance matters and employee issues.
- Financial: Operate and manage a fiscally responsible team and maintain reasonable expenses; must use a high level of judgment and decision making skills to promote adherence to accounting guidelines and SOX regulations.
- Judgment: Use judgment in questioning and bringing attention to transactions that seem to be inconsistent or in opposition to company policy. Must pay close attention to detail and keep mistakes to a minimum as they could impact the accuracy of the corporation’s financial reporting.
- Compliance: Follow company policies, especially related to proper presentation of financial transactions, financial statements, and adherence to financial reporting deadlines as defined by the Finance Team and regulatory bodies.
- Travel: May be required to travel to another company facility or to travel for education and training; occasional
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, financial management, or a closely related field
Five to seven years of experience in managing fiscal operations
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration: None required/CPA Preferred
Other Minimum Qualifications: Effective interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to be a team member and to lead a team. Demonstrated history of making positive contributions to an organization as a leader.
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge: Position requires a broad range of accounting knowledge, including knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, SEC reporting and research on a variety of related subjects. The candidate should be familiar with requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and relevant FASB pronouncements; possess strong organizational and time management skills with attention to details; be self-motivated and capable of working independently; maintain interpersonal relationships through appropriate and concise communication, oral and written; and possess strong computer skills to include MS Office applications and ERP systems.
Working Conditions: This is a partially sedentary job which requires sight sufficient for computer use and requires an individual with hearing sufficient for extensive, direct and/or telephone contact with customers, management and employees. Requires an individual with the ability to enter data into a computer. Responsibilities require an individual to be physically mobile to move around the building. The nature of this position and the personal interactions involved require that an individual possess significant and persuasive interactive communications skills. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
Benefits: OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…