BASIC FUNCTION: Responsible for supplier sourcing, supplier negotiations and related activities involving procurement of goods and services, such as raw materials, equipment, tools, custom fabricated parts, commercial-off-the-shelf parts, supplies, and outsourced fabrication services for establishment consistent with quality standards.
- Understands business conditions and current/changing market conditions in order to approach vendors who will best fit the need and negotiate appropriately.
- Develops and maintains vendor relationships in order to obtain crucial product or service information, such as price, availability, and delivery schedule; negotiate terms.
- Interprets Purchase Requisitions to produce Purchase Orders that best meet the requirements of the requisition.
- Solicits quotes from appropriate vendors and makes purchase decisions or recommendations within management guidelines
- Responsible for organizing manual and/or computerized procurement records, such as items or services purchased, costs, delivery, and product quality or performance
- Conducts follow-up with vendors to insure timely deliveries per required schedule.
- Discusses defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors, and others to facilitate the determination of appropriate corrective action.
- Other duties as required
Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
Champions OCC’s mission, vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
- Management Responsibility – No direct reports.
- Communication – Must relate to all departments and levels of management both internal and external to be able to perform daily requirements.
- Confidentiality – Understands the need to only communicate the information required to accomplish daily requirements. Also to protect OCC and Vendor’s information from other sources.
- Financial – Understanding the effect of any decision for pricing of an order and how it affects OCC now and in the future.
- Judgment – Able to make calls when necessary to ensure parts are made to specification and involving other departments when it is not feasible.
- Travel – May need to travel locally using own transportation to vendor locations to make sure they have the capacity, tooling, skill, and quality standard to build our product. Also delivering and picking-up product.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education and Experience: Associate Degree in a technical field preferred; requires a HS diploma with 6 years demonstrated industry experience requiring product understanding.
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration: N/A
Other Minimum Qualifications: Effective interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, ABILITIES AND KNOWLEDGE:
Must have good analytical, and interpersonal skills, including excellent communication skills both written and verbal. Able to organize, prioritize, complete tasks and manage time. Able to work under pressure in a fast paced environment. Organized and detailed. Must be a self-starter and possess excellent computer skills (Word and Excel required). Experience working with an ERP system, Syspro experience preferred. Previous purchasing experience preferred.
This is a mostly sedentary job which requires sufficient sight for reading comprehension, extensive computer use and keyboarding; and requires an individual with hearing sufficient for extensive, direct and/or telephone contact with customers, vendors, management staff and employees. The nature of this work and constant personal interactions involved require that an individual possesses significant and persuasive interactive communications skills. This position may require extended hours from time to time including evenings and weekends as necessary to meet company goals and objectives. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…