Basic Function: Performs environmental and mechanical testing of optical cables, cable assemblies, and components. Provides test, inspection and analytical support to Engineering, Manufacturing, Sales, and Quality Assurance departments.
Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Conduct environmental and mechanical tests on cables and assemblies in accordance with industry, corporate, and military standards and procedures.
- Understand and apply industrial, corporate, and military standards and procedures to test efforts.
- Use computers and peripherals to obtain, organize and correctly interpret significant amounts of data.
- Produce computer based test reports in logical and meaningful formats to effectively convey findings and results to other individuals and departments.
- Troubleshoot test setups and catastrophic failures for root causes (able to locate bad splices, suspect optical interfaces, bad alignment sleeves, misconfigured equipment, computer malfunctions, etc.)
- Perform inspections, testing and analysis in support of customer complaints, return material authorizations, and root cause analysis.
- Support Production efforts by performing required inspections, analysis, tests, and cable annealing processes (high temperature soaks).
Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
Champions OCC’s mission, vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
- Performs tests as directed by the Test Lab Supervisor and generates associated reports.
- Candidate must possess excellent verbal and written skills. Such skills will be essential in discussing and clarifying test requirements and in generating lab reports
- Test programs, cable samples, and associated results are OCC and/or customer proprietary and, as a result, must be handled accordingly.
- Results of tests and associated reports are used by other departments and personnel to better improve production efforts, support sales and marketing efforts, or to qualify products for shipment.
- Test efforts are to be performed in accordance with industry, corporate, or military requirements as defined in applicable standards, specifications, and procedures.
- Minimal travel to outside test facilities and other OCC divisions may be required in support of programs and projects.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education: Associates degree in engineering or an associated technical discipline, and/or 1-3 years of hands-on experience in electro-optics, fiber optics, instrumentation and measurements, or an associated field.
Experience: 1-3 years of hands-on experience in electro-optics, fiber optics, instrumentation and measurements, or an associated field.
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration: None required. Although certification in fiber optics handling (or equivalent) could be beneficial.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Computer proficiency (especially in Word and Excel). Detail oriented. Able to read, comprehend and perform tests according to standards and procedures.
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge: Work must be accurate, complete and without critical errors. Communicates effectively verbally and in written form. Computer proficiency especially in Word (tabs, tables, formatting) and Excel (formulas). Good mathematical skills. Works well with others. Able to work in a team environment. Able to read, comprehend, and perform tests according to industrial standards, procedures, and military specifications. Detail oriented and able to help resolve problems and resource conflicts. Works in a safety conscientious manner. Provides willing support to supervisor and other internal and external customers. Perform duties with minimal supervision. Willingness to work some overtime and weekend hours as needed.
Working Conditions: Employee is regularly required to perform tasks in a standing and a sitting position. Must be reasonably ambulatory. Cable and fiber preparation requires manual dexterity using hands and fingers to handle, feel, and manipulate optical fibers and associated inspection equipment including hand-held and desktop microscopes. This job requires sight sufficient for significant reading and computer usage. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision. This work also requires an individual with hearing sufficient for communication with coworkers.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…