Perform and document incoming dimensional conformance inspection of high precision machined piece parts utilizing technical drawings, computer solid modeling software, various metrology measurement tools, and statistical analysis. Demonstrates a disciplined quality minded approach for acceptance and rejection of purchased material supplied from vendors for Military and commercial applications. This position supports Supplier Quality Management by performing all incoming First Article Inspections for qualification of goods, including those on the Qualified Products List, from prospective suppliers following the industry standard AS9102 (SAE) format. This position supports Engineering by completing special projects typically through dimensional validation of designs and submits detailed reports showing inputs and outputs of the testing methodology utilized.
Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Identify dimensional conformance of incoming materials with metrology equipment including coordinate measuring machine (CMM), optical comparators, pin gauges, plug gauges, ring gauges, calipers, micrometers, and other precision measurement tools to ensure accuracy and compliance on measurements of all parts.
- Write CMM programs for new parts utilizing PC-DMIS C++ to ensure dimensional compliance to drawing/specification.
- Create molds within intricate cavitation of piece parts to measure and verify conformance to drawings.
- Read and understand information on technical drawings including tolerance of surfaces, pitch diameters, thread types, thread build ups, multi-planed surfaces, and other geometric measurements.
- Perform incoming inspections for acceptance and rejection of precision machined and purchased material supplied from vendors for applications within the United States Government, Military, and commercial customers in the private sector.
- Perform AS9102 First Article Inspection on all levels of machining and fabrication stages.
- Document measurements within the quality modules to provide evidence that incoming products meet all required specifications.
- Inspect products from post-secondary operations to ensure conformity to drawings, plating build up tolerances and finishes, ability to identify plating finishes including electroless nickel, nickel Teflon, nickel cadmium, black anodizing, zinc nickel, nickel plated brass, and others.
- Create and complete incoming piece part dimensional check list to document conformity.
- Identifying nonconforming material, document, segregate in MRB, and alert appropriate interested parties, both internal and external (buyers, planners, customers, accounts payable, etc.) of issues to aid in expediting resolution through Supplier Corrective Action Request, Return Material Authorization, Credit, or Replacement.
- Perform Failure Mode Analysis when necessary on nonconforming manufactured goods.
- Aid Engineering in Design Verification through dimensional validation.
- Assist with internal auditing responsibilities pertinent to the Quality Management System.
Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
Champions OCC’s vision and values (as outlined in the 15 Essential Point of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
- Managerial: None
- Communication: Candidate must possess excellent verbal and written skills. Such skills will be essential in discussing and clarifying incoming results.
- Confidentiality: All documentation and paperwork is confidential to OCC
- Financial: Respond to the finance team’s request for information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Compliance: Inspection efforts are to be performed in accordance with industry, corporate or military requirements as defined in applicable standards, specifications and procedures.
- Travel: Minimal
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education & Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline preferred. 5+ years of Manufacturing Quality Experience. Familiarity with IS0 9001:2015 and MIL-STD-790G Quality Management Systems preferred.
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
This position requires excellent computer skills and experience using Microsoft Windows applications (Word and Excel). Ability to use and navigate within an Enterprise Resource Planning system preferably Syspro. Proficient with computer solid modeling software such as AutoCAD or Auto Desk. Attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments accurately with a sense of urgency at times, and recognize opportunities to help resolve problems. Excellent oral and written communication skills with the demonstrated ability to express oneself clearly and concisely both to internal and external parties. Must be capable of solving technical problems and providing sound solutions. Ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision. Ability to organize and maintain a metrology lab, complete tasks and manage time appropriately. Ability to read and understand product design drawings, schematics, and technical drawings. An understanding of ANSI/Z and Squeglia Acceptable Quality Levels (AQL) sampling plan (statistical analysis). Ability to work with management to identify tooling needs both pertinent to the position and to embrace Continual Improvement opportunities. Ability to operate CMM machine, optical comparators, and understand Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerances.
While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and must be reasonably ambulatory. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 lbs. This job requires vision sufficient for completing quality work, reading comprehension and computer use. This work also requires hearing sufficient for normal workplace conversation and training. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions. Specific vison abilities required by this job include color vision.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…