Basic Function: Plans, implements and manages quality assurance activities in support of the company Quality Management System (QMS) goals and objectives. This includes, but is not limited to, support and participation in product development activities; manufacturing support including oversight of incoming, in-process and final inspection activities; development, maintenance and reporting of quality metrics including trend analysis and statistical analyses. The function also includes root cause analysis in support of failure investigations and the ability to clearly communicate investigation findings and corrective actions to internal and external personnel including suppliers, customers and customer quality personnel. The function includes direct supervision and training of assigned quality technicians and inspectors as well as the management of metrology and related standards for calibration.
Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Oversees compliance with the Quality Management System (QMS) procedures and serves as management representative for the ISO program.
- Maintains appropriate metrics for tracking of key quality indicators using a variety of statistical and analytical tools to evaluate company performance against stated goals and objectives for management reviews and customer presentations as required.
- Works with product development teams to ensure clarity and definition of product requirements, compliance with stated requirements and provides input to the design team concerning manufacturability and process control considerations.
- Responds to all enquiries concerning environmental or origin related compliance, such as REACH, ROHS, BAA, TAA, etc.
- Leads the investigation and resolution of quality assurance issues and concerns related to product realization, customer service/support and documentation. Presents findings and corrective actions as required to stake holders including customer personnel.
- Plans and documents quality related processes and procedures as required to support the QMS.
- Manages personnel in the Quality Assurance department. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives, and recommends that personnel be hired or removed from the department. Provides feedback to assigned personnel relative to stated goals and objectives including preparation of performance reviews and, if necessary, administers disciplinary actions.
- Evaluates new inspection and measuring equipment and techniques with the goal of providing more efficient inspection techniques.
- Works with purchasing during the selection of major suppliers to provide supplier quality audits and other quality data for input in the selection process.
- Works with suppliers on quality and inspection requirements and procedures.
- Assists sales as requested on all quality related matters.
- Oversees the MRB non-conforming product area and works with management to reduce obsolete and defective materials.
Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
Champions OCC’s mission, vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
Minimum Qualifications Required
Education and Experience: Bachelor degree in engineering or related field with five years’ experience or an equivalent combination of experience and training. ISO 9001 QMS experience required.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration: ISO lead auditor certified. ASQ Certified Quality Engineer or Quality Manager preferred.
Essential Skills, Abilities & Knowledge: The Quality Manager position requires excellent computer skills and experience using software packages such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and various data-bases including an ERP system. The candidate must possess excellent mechanical aptitude with a comprehensive knowledge of general manufacturing techniques and systems. This position also requires knowledge of fiber and copper cables, and their systems as well as the associated industry standards for these. Be able to plan and direct investigations of non-conforming product while providing both root cause and effective corrective actions. The quality manager must possess an ability to work in a team environment, provide training, motivation, and evaluation of all quality personnel. They must possess excellent oral and written communication skills with the demonstrated ability to express their self clearly and precisely. They must complete assignments accurately and on time while providing and documenting resolutions to quality related problems.
Working Conditions: While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and must be reasonably ambulatory. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 35 lbs. This job requires vision sufficient for completing quality work, reading comprehension and computer use. This work also requires hearing sufficient for normal workplace conversation and training. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions. Specific vison abilities required by this job include color vision.
Note: This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…