Basic Function: Plans, implements and manages quality assurance activities in support of the company Quality Management System (QMS) goals and objectives. This includes, but is not limited to, support and participation in product development activities; manufacturing support including oversight of incoming, in-process and final inspection activities; development, maintenance and reporting of quality metrics including trend analysis, statistical analyses and statistical process control (SPC) as required. Serves as Safety Coordinator for the facility. The function also includes root cause analysis in support of failure investigations and the ability to clearly communicate investigation findings and corrective actions to internal and external personnel including vendors, customers and customer quality inspectors. The function includes direct supervision and training of quality assurance technicians and inspectors, and management of metrology and related standards for calibration.
Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Oversees compliance with the Quality Management System (QMS) procedures and serves as management representative for harsh environment connectivity products and point of contact for all matters concerning quality management.
- Maintains appropriate metrics for tracking of key quality indicators using a variety of statistical and analytical tools including charts, graphs and other such tools as may be required to evaluate company performance against stated goals and objectives for management reviews and customer presentations as required.
- Serves as Safety Coordinator for facility.
- Works with product development teams to ensure clarity and definition of product requirements, compliance with stated requirements and provides input to the design team concerning manufacturability and process control considerations.
- Leads the investigation and resolution of quality assurance issues and concerns related to product realization, customer service/support and documentation. Presents findings and corrective actions as required to stake holders including customer personnel.
- Plans and documents quality related processes and procedures as required to support the QMS.
- Performs the function of Lead Auditor responsible for planning and scheduling of audits, training and supervising the internal audit staff, and reviewing and documenting audit findings for corrective action, to include MIL-STD-790 audits.
- Manages personnel in the Quality department. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives, and recommends that personnel be hired or removed from the department. Provides feedback to assigned personnel relative to stated goals and objectives including preparation of performance reviews and, if necessary, administers corrective actions.
- Maintains the company’s training records and required quality records relating to material and/or process problems and investigation findings / corrective and preventive actions using applicable tools.
- Institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures as required to initiate, monitor and manage testing performed by any external test facilities.
- Reviews customer specified Quality Assurance requirements during contract reviews and advises customer service personnel regarding requirements which are not acceptable and ensures compliance with those requirements that are acceptable if the order is received.
- Evaluates vendors and suppliers to assure quality requirements for purchased parts and materials and well defined, communicated clearly and effectively implemented. Works with vendors and suppliers to establish and manage improvements and corrective actions as necessary when problems are identified.
Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to customer request/needs.
Champions OCC’s vision and values (as detailed in our 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
Minimum Qualifications Required
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related technical degree with 6 years of Quality Assurance experience or 10 years Quality Management experience, preferably in a Fortune 500 company or companies with significant product development and manufacturing for military and/or federal customers. ISO 9001 and/or military standards quality management and safety/OSHA compliance experience required. Internal/external auditing experience required. Candidate must be skilled in the inspection, metrology, and continuous quality improvement of small, high precision mechanical and/or ceramic components. Experience with MIL-STD-790 audits and OSHA 30 hour safety training preferred.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration: ASQ lead auditor certification, Registration Accreditation Board (RAB) certification and/or Certified Quality Engineer through American Society for Quality (ASQ) preferred.
Essential Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge
The position requires excellent computer skills and experience using software packages such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and various data-bases including ERP system(s). The candidate must possess excellent mechanical aptitude preferably with a comprehensive knowledge of fiber optic cable and connector technology and design and its application to production processes such as termination and test of fiber optic and electrical cable assemblies. Comprehensive knowledge of applicable military and industry standards and qualification requirements for fiber optic cable assemblies or related products is required. Ability to plan and direct investigations as required to determine root cause and corrective actions for non-conforming product. Ability to plan, layout, and execute complex work programs, functions, and operations to ensure quality. Ability to understand and implement quality procedures at all levels. Math skills required along with the ability to correctly complete all documentation. Excellent oral and written communication skills required with the demonstrated ability to express oneself clearly and concisely. Extensive ability to supervise and maintain effective relationships with employees and vendors. Ability to work in a team environment with responsibility for training, motivating, monitoring and evaluating others. Pays close attention to detail with the ability to complete assignments accurately, and to recognize, document, and help resolve problems. Able to organize, complete tasks and manage time. Appropriate knowledge of OSHA regulations and requirements.
Working Conditions: While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and must be reasonably ambulatory. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 35 lbs. This job requires vision sufficient for completing quality work, reading comprehension and computer use. This work also requires hearing sufficient for normal workplace conversation and training. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions. Specific vison abilities required by this job include color vision.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.
Connect with us…